If you are wondering how to obtain a higher SAT score, here are some suggestions.
- Start studying NOW. Today. It is never too early to start preparing for the SAT, but for many students, it soon becomes too late to significantly increase scores. Cramming for the SAT is ineffective and is just procrastination. Studying just a little every week over a long period of time is the only true way to maximize your scores.
- Equip yourself with the proper study guides. There is alot of material out there, and much of it is not great. Use these materials to guarantee the most accurate and efficient preparation. Do yourself a favor and buy these books right now!
- Now that you've got your materials, here are some essential SAT strategies to memorize and use: 12 Essential SAT Strategies
- Master a simple plan for your SAT Essay so that you don't waste time on test day: Strategies for Writing the SAT Essay
- Consider a tutor. Tutors can be expensive, but if you're serious about getting the highest score possible, they're the most effective method you'll find. Be sure that the tutor has experience specifically with the SAT; using a friend or a parent is very dangerous, as there is alot of misinformation regarding SAT prep. Classroom courses are another (cheaper) alternative, but a good tutor in a one-on-one setting is a much better value, because you'll be more focused and the tutor will focus upon only the material that will help YOU the most. If you're the type of person who gets bored in the classroom and sometimes skips doing homework, DO NOT consider a classroom course - you probably won't get too much out of it.
Take a practice ACT. I know you're trying to improve your SAT score, so this suggestion sounds strange, but you ought to consider it. The ACT is an alternative to the SAT that is accepted by most colleges. Many students score about the same on both tests, but some students score significantly higher on one or the other. If you're struggling with SAT Math, you should really consider trying the ACT, as the Math section is much more straightforward.